St. Ignace Area Community Description
St. Ignace, Michigan, USA is a rural/tourist community located in Michigan’s pristine Upper Peninsula at the northern end of the Mackinac Bridge (“Mighty Mac”), the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere.
Surrounded by both lakes Michigan and Huron, the water provides both a source of beauty as well as an avenue for the town’s major industry of tourism. Founded in 1671, by Father Jacque Marquette, St. Ignace has the distinction of being the third oldest city in the United States. The city emphasizes a strong historical heritage, including the Ojibwa Cultural Museum, Father Marquette Memorial Park, and Forte de Baude Museum.
The St. Ignace School District has two schools, elementary & middle (287) and high school (209). Approximately 70% of the district’s graduates attend 2 – 4 year institutions. The remaining 30% enter the job market immediately or join the military.
The town provides a new hospital and tribal health clinic, a medical care facility, two dental offices, two pharmacies, a veterinarian, and an optometrist. Banking facilities include four banks and a credit union in the area. Little Bear East Convention Center offers open skating, hockey, a fitness room, and a facility for large conventions and community activities. A community swimming pool (currently closed) is located on the school grounds. Fast food restaurants include McDonald's, Burger King and Clyde's Drive In. There are many other fine dining establishments. The area is known for fresh fish, especially whitefish, walleye, perch and trout. Fudge and pasties are also very popular!
St. Ignace has a plethora of outdoor activities. Close beach access can be enjoyed at Moran Bay and at the American Legion Park. Castle Rock and miles of sandy beaches located west of town on U.S. 2 are both good summer activities to enjoy. A beautiful marina is available as well as two boat launches. Kayak rentals are offered in town as well as a parasailing. Mystery Spot, located to the west on U.S. 2 is world famous. On your way there from St. Ignace is Totem Village. This unique shop includes a Museum of Indian Lore and a Wildlife Zoo. Kewadin Shores Casino is located to the north on Mackinac Trail. A visitor can jump a boat on either of the two ferry lines to Mackinac Island or enjoy the magic of the Hiawatha National Forest. The Mackinac Bridge and the Bridge View Park greet you as you arrive in St. Ignace from the Lower Peninsula. There are three other local lakefront parks located on the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. In the winter grab your skis or snow shoes and enjoy the winter wonders of the North Country Trail or tube down Silver Mountain. In the spring, summer, and fall, try your hand at disc golf. The course is located near Silver Mountain on the corner of Cheeseman Road and U.S. 2 West. A nine-hole golf course is also available immediately west of town overlooking the breathtaking Mackinac Bridge and beautiful Lake Michigan. Camping is the highlight at Straits State Park and it has 181 acres located along the northern shore of the Straits of Mackinac. It is only one of a handful of campgrounds in the area.
Whatever you want to do, the wonder of the Straits Area and
St. Ignace is yours to enjoy, investigate and behold. Welcome!
For more information on St. Ignace, visit: http://www.saintignace.org
Last Modified on July 1, 2021